About Camelot Lottery Solutions
Camelot Lottery Solutions (CLS) is the leading solutions and technology provider to lotteries around the world, helping customers reach new players and deliver responsible growth through increasing engagement with the lottery brand, leveraging digital technology, and providing new ways to play.
Through next-generation digital and data platforms, CLS powers some of the most innovative and fastest growing digital lotteries in the world, including the Illinois Lottery, the Irish and UK National Lotteries, and Loterie Romande (Switzerland).
With an unrivalled track record of delivering long-term digital and retail growth, CLS helps lotteries deepen engagement with their players and build solutions today to ensure a bright and sustainable future for good causes.
CLS are a technology led company and recognise the need to have world-class technology in place. In order to deliver a world-class service to their customers, they are committed to embracing continual improvements to the security and resilience of their platforms to achieve this.
In 2019 CLS identified that a major security and networking upgrade to their Core Network infrastructure was needed. Having worked closely in partnership with Charterhouse for the last three years, together the teams reviewed the challenges / objectives and scoped the requirements.
The key challenges / objectives identified by the CLS Security and IT teams as priorities were to:
- Meet customer, audit, and compliance requirements and address a number of objectives in the CLS security strategy
- Remove technology silos that were causing management and support challenges and incurring unpredictable costs
- Upgrade critical infrastructure to improve on the performance of existing technology and to bolster preventative security and visibility
- Address gaps in internal resource and expertise by working with a partner who are subject matter experts and having enterprise grade support in place for critical infrastructure
Camelot Lottery Solution’s Core Networks are built on Amazon Web Services (AWS), and working with Charterhouse the project was scoped to further enhance and extend a successful implementation of Palo Alto Networks security technology into AWS that was completed together in 2018, showing CLS commitment to continual improvements to security and resilience with market leading technology and delivering enterprise grade support.
The project was scoped across two phases, with Phase One in Europe, and then Phase Two extending to the US.
CLS engaged with Charterhouse as a trusted partner to work collaboratively to design and deliver a bespoke network and security solution for their core network, which would support the future growth of their technology platforms. As part of an ongoing consultancy engagement throughout 2020, Charterhouse’s engineering and project management teams worked alongside the CLS IT and Security departments acting as an extension of the team.
“The drive to upgrade our Core Networks has been a major endeavour, and I’m delighted that we are already seeing the positive impact upon our teams and their delivery to our customers, in addition to a critical reduction in spending.
This was a critical project and the team at Charterhouse were instrumental in delivering it successfully. The upgrades send a strong signal that we never compromise on the security and resilience of our networks, and thanks go to Charterhouse for their ongoing support helping us meeting our security goals.”
The final solution has made improvements to the security and the resilience of their platforms by:
- Eliminating technology silos and knowledge gaps internally
- Reducing complexity and the number of technology partners to the business
- Improved Performance, Quality of Service and Security of the CLS platform
- Offering enterprise grade support on market leading technology
- Meeting Camelot Lottery Solutions customer obligations
- Meeting audit and compliance requirements
The business outcomes of the project have:
- Seen a 25% reduction in spend on infrastructure
- Enabled legacy infrastructure to be decommissioned
- Delivered a significant increase in performance across all customer accounts
- Boosted resilience and security
- Provided exceptional quality of service
- Addressed gaps in internal resourcing and expertise
Managed Detection and Response
In parallel with the core upgrade, Charterhouse has also worked in the last 12 months with the CLS Security team to accelerate their security program and operationalise a true Visibility, Detection and Response program.
Working in partnership with Rapid7 to effectively monitor and audit their environment at all times, the Camelot team’s Security capabilities have been extended out with a Managed Detection and Response service from Rapid7 and Charterhouse, that provides them 24×7 security operations from detection and response experts.
Charterhouse is one of the first Managed Security Service Provider (MSSPs) partners of Rapid7 in the UK, which enables us to deliver an enhanced support offering to CLS, and the service includes:
- 24×7 SOC monitoring by world-class experts
- Real-time incident detection and validation
- Immediate response actions taken on behalf of CLS
- Proactive threat hunting (monthly compromise assessments)
- Incident management and response support included
- Full access to Rapid7’s market leading cloud SIEM (Security Information and Event Management), InsightIDR
- Unified Endpoint Detection and Response, Behavioural Analytics, SIEM and Network Traffic Analysis technology all-in-one
Validating existing security measures and having visibility of what’s happening from a threat perspective enables enabling pro-actively hunting and response to threats discovered in the CLS environment. It forms a key part of the managed service, providing CLS with confidence that they’re in safe hands with Charterhouse.